Upper Hudson Library System
Friday, March 1, 2002 At UHLS
Attending: Jeff Cannell (APLM); Ginny LaJuene (ALTM); Nancy
Pieri (BETH); Carol Trager (BRUN); Deborah Canzano (COHS); Bob Jaquay (COLN);
Pat Nonamaker (EGRN); Barbara Nichols Randall (GUIL); Carol Gaillard (HOOF);
Lenny Zapala (MEND); Pat Sahr (NASS); Daryl McCarthy (NGRN); Margie Morris (POES);
Judy Felsten (RCSC); Rebecca Lubin (RVLL); Barbara Kubli (STEP); Phil Ritter
(UHLS); Bobbi Crowther (VAFL); Barbara Schoen (WVLT); Elaine Albrecht (WSTR)
Visitors: Sara Dallas (UHLS)
Meeting convened at 9:00am
Motion: (Cannell, Felsten) to approve February 1, 2002
UHLS: Phil Ritter
- Presented three areas of concern raised by the Resource Sharing Advisory
Lost Receipt Parameter – “The Directors’ Association
has already stated that ‘the replacement cost for lost materials is
to be remitted to the owning library’. We need clarification on this.
Is cash okay, or just checks? Can it be sent through the courier? Should there
be a receipt? The group has already drafted a receipt.” (draft receipt
distributed) The directors present at this meeting responded that cash is
okay and can be sent through courier, but use common sense and safeguards
– put the smaller envelope in a larger envelope and make sure it addressed
to a specific person at the receiving library. Call that person and tell them
to be looking for it. A receipt should be included. There was discussion of
the draft receipt and whether the statement on the bottom of the front of
the receipt should be omitted.
Motion: (Kubli, Morris) Delete statement at the bottom
of the lost item receipt and replace with “see back for instructions”.
Agency Cards – “Some
libraries issue agency cards (bar-coded cards given to nursing homes & day
care centers). One library thinks agency cards should be valid at the home library
only, and that it is up to the individual library to waive or accept any fines
that might accrue. What does the Directors’ Association think?”
Overall opinion is that these cards should not be fine exempt, they are valid
only at home library (Lenny Zapala suggests keeping the cards on file at the
home library), and should be red-lined under barcode. Barbara Kubli asked about
agencies using ILL online to get books from other libraries. Nancy Pieri clarified
that the home library would be responsible for books lost by the agency.
Patron email addresses – “One library thinks that libraries
need to remove the email addresses, or update them, of their own patrons if
the addresses are incorrect. The group also thinks that the Notes field should
be used to remind staff to ask the patron for a new email address. What does
the Directors’ Association think of this?” A problem that has come
up is that notices are being returned to libraries from patrons that have not
updated email address changes. The Notes field is for use by the home library
and can be used to alert staff to ask for corrections.
- UHLS information requests – UHLS regularly gets requests for information
about member libraries (i.e., What legislative district is library A in?).
Heidi Fuge has suggested that a database be created for information so that
it is easy to add and update. To begin with everything in the annual reports
can go in, as it is public knowledge. This can go on the Internet. There are
some items that we may want to have only on the Intranet. Phil asked what
does the Directors’ Association want in the database, what on Internet
and what on Intranet? Please call or email Phil with comments and suggestions.
They will start with the state reports.
- Legislative Day – The Library Advocacy Advisory Council will meet
on Wednesday, March 6th at 7pm at UHLS. They will finalize plans for this
day. Sara Dallas has already made appointments to meet with the 7 legislators
in our area. A briefing will be held at 8:30am and the first scheduled appointment
begins at 9:30am and the last at 3:00pm.
- Adult Literacy Grants – Sara distributed application to interested
libraries. They must be back to UHLS by April 1st in order for UHLS Board
to rank them and submit them by April 17th. Applications are also available
- Trustee Training – UHLS will be moving forward with plans for this.
UHLS Board: P. Nonamaker
- Annual meeting date changed to Tuesday, June 11th at Albany Country Club.
- Still negotiating with Task Force for lease. UHLS is holding firm on cost
UHLS Finance: P. Nonamaker
UHLS Administration: N. Pieri
Services: J. Felsten
No meeting held
Automated Services Committee: N. Pieri
- New email service – this will begin after new server is installed.
This service will have antivirus protection.
- Presentation on SAM software – manages Internet stations and printing
that results from use.
- New Internet service provider – UHLS is going to use Roadrunner. Rawdon
will change IP addresses for databases through UHLS. If any library provides
databases individually, they will need to add a new IP but do not delete the
old one. Rawdon is also looking at a backup Internet service in case Roadrunner
Central Library: J. Cannell
- Focus has been on re-chartering – The Board approved a tax levy of
$4 million dollars. This will increase school taxes for residents by a little
over $99.00 per year.
- The City of Albany will give the titles to three library buildings to the
library – the main branch, Pine Hills and Howe.
Nuts & Bolts:
ALTM: On Sunday (3/3) at the Berne-Knox High School, the Albany Berkshire
Ballet will present Dance in the Hills. The library teamed with the Berne-Knox
PTA to make this performance available. Also, the library has hooked up with
Community Care Givers to help make aware and provide services to homebound residents.
RCSC: Held 2nd of three Community Advisory Committee meetings –
Judy had difficulty getting members to make the connection that library services
are part of community services.
STEP: Interviewing architects for new addition/renovation. NYLA is supposed
to provide free consultation by an architect to NYLA members. Barbara contacted
them and an architect got right back to her but never showed up .
COLN: A project 10 years in the making is getting underway. The library
will have a ceiling replacement, new lights and new carpeting.
COHS: They are doing a major weeding of nonfiction (30-40%). Jeff Cannell
said she could send books to the Book Cellar.
GUIL: Guilderland Library Foundation, which began in the summer, has
produced a brochure and has been canvassing the neighborhoods for support. As
a result, they will be getting a member item grant for TTY and phone line and
to replace the amplifier in the community room.
- Pool Collection – Survey was sent out to directors. There was discussion
and clarification as to the equitable way to distribute the collection. Sara
asked if the regular pool collection pick-up and distribution could be suspended
for a short period of time to allow couriers to get the discontinued items
Motion: (Felsten, Kubli) Audio-Visual Pool Collection
rotation should continue during the process of distributing discontinued pool
collections. Carried. (1 nay)
Motion: (Canzano, Trager) If needed, UHLS should suspend
book pool collection distribution during the process of distributing discontinued
pool collections. Carried.
- Fines – Nancy collected information from 23 libraries regarding their
fine structure/policy. She distributed a chart with the responses. More discussion
needs to take place about standardizing fines. It is possible that the member
libraries will never come to consensus on this issue. She asked if we could
agree to standard replacement costs for lost or damages books. There was discussion
about the defaults that are already set in the system if the actual cost is
not entered for an item. There was also discussion as to whether there is
any difference in the rate of return for videos with fines being set at $1.00
per day or $.10 per day. Some libraries have lowered the video fines as most
videos cost less than hardcover books.
- Sara Dallas reported & apologized that she missed the deadline for the
Folk Art Grant. This was due to the unexpected amount of time that it took
for state reports (it was suggested that this cost be added in when calculating
cost to do annual report this year). It will be ready to go for next year.
She will distribute a copy of the proposed grant for review.
- Nancy Pieri asked if UHLS could post small websites with directory information
for those libraries that do not have a website yet. Phil stated that Peter
Kowalski is working on this and is working with libraries to establish websites
and/or update old ones.
- Judy Felsten asked if anyone had information for her about how long it took
to do the annual report per library. Phil & Sara are compiling some statistics
that they were going to have for Legislative Lobby Day about how much money
New York State gives to libraries, the per capita cost and what it cost to
do the annual report due to the issues surrounding that. It was suggested
that this information should not go to the legislators but to the Commissioner
of Education. Jeff Cannell suggested that it is hard for libraries to support
the New Century Libraries when we have such difficulty with the state report.
- Bob Jaquay asked if other libraries have had problems with heavy damage
to DVDs after just a few circulations. DVDs are more fragile than CDs. He
plans to call some videos stores to see how they handle this. Bob’s
question goes to how responsible we should hold patrons for these damages.
It is hard to track and check each DVD after every circulation.
- Nancy Pieri – Her staff is concerned about the repetitive motion of
opening CD cases at the circ desk. Barbara Kubli has used a “churchkey”
can opener for this problem.
Motion: (Zapala, LaJuene) Meeting adjourned 10:50am.
Next meeting April 5, 2002 at UHLS.